Practical help with caring 2017-07-31T11:52:16+00:00

Practical help with caring

There is a range of practical help available to support you as a carer and enable the person you are caring for to remain in their own home.

Carers Emergency Card

In My Place is run by Norfolk County Council and is available 24/7. If you are involved in an accident, emergency or taken ill, they will get in touch with your named emergency contact(s) to ensure the person you care for still gets the help they need. The Council will ensure that the cared-for person is safe, which may be by arranging respite care or home support (which may not be free of charge), if there is no-one else available. The service is available to young carers and young adult carers too.

“I feel greatly reassured that I have the card with me in case of an emergency.”  

Christa cares for her husband who has Parkinson’s Disease.

Norfolk’s Swift Response If you are taken ill, or are suddenly unable to look after the person you are caring for, Norfolk’s Swift Response provides a 24/7 service. It can help with urgent and unexpected care needs for example: a fall, toileting, dealing with medical equipment, medication and emergency shopping. The team will receive and assess your initial telephone enquiry and ensure that the person you care for receives the support they need, either from the team or a partner agency. The service is available to Norfolk residents aged 18 or over living in their own homes.
0344 800 8026

Message in a bottle – This helps the emergency services if someone is taken ill or has an accident. Put important information into the free bottle and a sticker tells the emergency services to look for it in the fridge. Ask your GP or pharmacy or call Lions Club International.

0845 833 9502

Community Alarm Schemes can benefit those who are vulnerable, prone to falls or other problems. An alarm is worn by the person and, in an emergency, it activates the home phone line to call for help. There is a charge for this service.

North Norfolk – Care Line
01553 760 671

Norwich Community Alarm Service
01603 213 700

South Norfolk Contact Care
Lifeline Alarms
0800 917 4680

Breckland – Welbeing Lifeline
01323 644 422

Broadland – Centra Pulse
0300 123 3232

Great Yarmouth – Yare Care
01493 846 654

West Norfolk – Care Line
01553 760 671

Your GP or other health professionals may arrange for the cared-for person to have items such as a commode or walking aid. If someone has a permanent physical disability, you can ask Norfolk County Council for an assessment of their needs. If you think you need equipment for yourself, to make caring easier, Norfolk County Council can arrange for a Carer’s Assessment. See more on our Carers Assessment pages.

Norfolk Carers Advice Line
0808 808 9876
Norfolk County Council
0344 800 8020

Key safes 

Having a key safe means that a house key can be left outside safely. Contact Norfolk County Council for suppliers.
0344 800 8020 

Age UK Norfolk have more details about key safes and other aspects of home security.

Assistive Technology


Equipment and devices are available to support people to live independently. The equipment can help with things like memory or mobility issues,risk of falling, safety and supporting carers. Contact the Council for more information about this service.
0344 800 8020

People who are not eligible for support from Norfolk County Council can contact n-able directly for advice and to purchase equipment.
01603 894 120 

The British Red Cross provide short-term loans of mobility aids, including wheelchairs. Their website has details of local centres.
01603 253 403

Norfolk Coastal Centre for Independent Life
Information and advice about a range of household and medical equipment and benefits.
01493 663 626

DLF (Disabled Living Foundation) offers free, impartial advice and information on the use of daily living equipment for the public.
0300 999 0004

Disabled Gear
A free website to post adverts to buy or sell equipment.

Help around the home
A volunteer may help with household tasks. Your local community volunteering co-ordinator may be able to help you to find one. Contact them directly.
01603 614 474
You can also call Norfolk Carers Advice Line.

Continence clinics for adults 18 and over, can be based in a hospital or in the community often attached to a health centre – you can contact them directly without referral from your GP.

Meals are provided by private firms – there is a list of Trusted Traders available from Norfolk County Council.  Click here for details.

Details of lunch clubs and day centres offering lunches is available from the Norfolk Directory and Norfolk Carers Advice Line.


If you are looking after someone aged 65 or over, and they have had 2 or more falls in the last 6 months, they are eligible for a falls assessment to look at ways of reducing the risk of future falls. Call your local Hub for more information:

Norwich Locality: 01603 518 444

South Locality: 01953 609 419

North Locality: 01692 408027

West Locality: 01553 668 777 

Age UK Norfolk have a range of information and advice about home safety and security.
0300 500 1217

Fire Safety: Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service offer free fire checks.
0300 123 1669

Trusted Traders
Norfolk Trusted Trader directory.
0344 800 8020

Handy person services and care and repair agencies give help and advice on repairing and adapting homes. Your local district council has details.

Local Councils

01362 656 870

01603 431 133

Great Yarmouth
01493 856 100

King’s Lynn and West Norfolk
01553 616 200

North Norfolk
01263 513 811

0344 980 33 33

South Norfolk
01508 533 701

Borderhoppa community transport – South Norfolk

Community and Public Transport can be used by anybody who doesn’t have a car or access to public transport to go shopping, for leisure activities or to go to hospital or GP appointments.

There are also 5 Flexibus services, these are a ‘ring and ride’ service which anyone can use. There is no fixed timetable; instead the bus follows a route set by the pre-booked requests of passengers.  All buses are fully accessible, with space for wheelchairs, child buggies and shopping.

There are 5 Flexibus services covering a number of towns and villages across the county:

  • Acle
  • Harling
  • North Norfolk
  • Swaffham
  • Wayland
  • Wymondham 

Request a Flexibus journey

Contact Norfolk County Council.
0344 800 8020 

Contact Norfolk Community Transport Association for details of schemes in your area.
07415 789 554

Greater Anglia provides information on rail services.
0800 028 2878

The Norfolk Directory has a range of information,including links to transport schemes. 

The Disabled Persons Railcard This allows eligible people and an adult companion, to get 1/3 off most rail fares throughout Great Britain.
0345 605 0525 

The Disabled Bus Pass
This entitles people who either have a permanent disability, or a disability lasting at least 12 months, to travel for free on all off-peak services and at all times on weekends and bank holidays. Blind and partially-sighted people can travel at any time. Companions of eligible people can apply for free travel if the cared-for person cannot travel alone.  Find out more:

Call Norfolk County Council.
0344 800 8020

Information about public transport journeys throughout Norfolk.

Coach travel – National Express Assisted Travel Helpline.
0371 781 8181

The Blue Badge Scheme enables people with severe and permanent mobility problems to park close to where they need to go, and park in spaces which are wider to allow room for wheelchairs. Contact Norfolk County Council.
0344 800 8020

Did you know – You can apply for a Blue Badge, direct from this website?  Go to Do It Here  

Road Tax
The person you are looking after may be entitled to free, or half-price road tax if their mobility is affected and they are claiming certain payments and allowances.
0300 123 4321

The Shopmobility scheme loans manual and powered wheelchairs and scooters. There is a charge for the service.

Norwich Shopmobility
01603 753 350

Great Yarmouth Broadland Mobility
01493 330 455

West Norfolk Community Transport
01553 770 310

RADAR NKS toilet keys allow access to toilets adapted for people with disabilities. Contact Disability Rights UK.
020 7250 8191

THP Mobility offer short and long-term scooter hire and wheelchair loans.
01603 514 336

The Norwich Access Group The website includes a range of information about accessible places in the city.

Holiday Travel

Accessible Countryside for everyone provide details of accessible walks and places to visit in Norfolk and in the East of England.

Whitlingham Country Park tripboat the “Ra” 

Travel Abroad

If you are disabled or have difficulty moving around, you can receive free assistance when you fly to and from the UK and Europe, including on
domestic flights. Under European law, this assistance is available to anyone with mobility requirements – for example because of their disability, age or a temporary injury. For more information download the leaflet, click below:

Air Travel

Norwich Airport 

Special Travel Assistance from trained staff can be made available for departing passengers from the point of arrival at the airport and from the inbound aircraft.  Any requests for assistance should be made at least 48 hours in advance of travel. They can also facilitate pre-travel visits for people with hidden disabilities such as those with autism.  Coloured wristbands are available free of charge for passengers and any friends/family colleagues travelling with them to wear as a discreet sign to airport staff that additional support may be required whilst travelling through the airport.

For general enquiries  contact the Help desk in the terminal building
07833 403 180
01603 420 672  


Travel for people with hidden disabilities:


Foreign travel for disabled people – Government Information 

NHS Choices website has a range of information, including travel with certain conditions and diseases:

Your local pharmacy or GP  can also be able to help with details of  vaccinations, managing medication or travelling with particular conditions or illnesses.

Travel Insurance 

If you’re buying travel insurance for someone with an illness or disability you will need to shop about for insurers that cover pre-existing conditions – and for the best deal.    Tourism for All has useful list of providers.  Click here.

The Money Advice Service can also help.  They say:

“If you have a heath condition or a disability – referred to by insurers as a ‘pre-existing condition’ – you need to take particular care when shopping around for travel insurance.

If you don’t disclose information about your condition when asked by the insurance company, your insurance could be invalid.

You should also check that the policy covers any expensive equipment you need to take with you.” 

Click here for more advice from them.

Money Saving Expert explains that older people may have to pay more:

“Travel insurance is more expensive and more difficult to buy as you get older – especially if you are over the age of 65, with the average annual cost standing at more than £80. “

Providers such as Age UK  specialise in cover for the over 65s

There’s also an on-line Travel Insurance Guide, that compares over a 1,000 providers.

Useful links 

Download our handbook

Download our handbook.