Money Matters – Funding for Care Services 2017-06-26T13:12:08+00:00

Money Matters 

The Rank Group and Carers Trust provide a range of grants to adult carers to support them in their caring roles. The grants may provide equipment or skills for caring and help to ensure carers’ wellbeing.
Contact Norfolk Carers to apply.
0808 808 9876

The Norfolk Millennium Trust for Carers is administered by the Norfolk Community Foundation, and gives grants to unpaid carers in the county to provide a better quality of life for them and their loved ones. They provide funding for practical items, short breaks and leisure activities which relieve the 24/7 pressures of caring.
01603 623 958 /funds/norfolk-millennium-trust-for-carers/

Norfolk Carers Grants and Funding
We can offer one-off payments to help carers, aged 16 or over, in a variety of ways, to make caring easier. We can also help with funding to set up carers’ groups.

Carers’ Learning Grants Carers aged 16 and over, living in Norfolk can apply once for a grant of up to £150 to cover learning course fees. You can apply if you have been providing unpaid help and support for a year or more, to a relative, friend, partner or child. The length of care will be disregarded if the course relates to your caring role. Courses can be one-off workshops, regular classes or a course of lessons and could include:

• driving/moped/motorbike lessons
• leisure courses e.g. creative writing, art, photography, cookery, languages, music, sport and fitness
• distance learning, one-to-one tuition, adult education courses and employment-related courses, such as IT skills.

Courses and training may be academic, GCSE’s for example, or training to help you continue in your caring role e.g. lifting and handling, sign language and condition specific training.

Contact Norfolk Carers Advice Line for more details and to apply. Click to our Grants and Funding pages
0808 808 9876
07497 002 864 (text only)

“With a grant from Norfolk Carers, we took a holiday, which made us feel less anxious.” 

Sue, from Gorleston cares for her husband who has a mental health condition

Funding for carers’ groups

If you are a part of a carers’ group, or are thinking of starting one up, then you may be eligible for a small grant of up to £500.
The grant, funded by Norfolk County Council, aims to improve support services to carers across Norfolk. The group must be for carers over the age of 16, caring for people over the age of 18. More than half of the group must be current carers. It must offer spaces to new carers and provide carers with a break.

Contact Norfolk Carers Advice Line for more details and to apply. Click to our Grants and Funding pages
0808 808 9876
07497 002 864 (text only)

Come singing group at the Costessey Centre – funded by a small grant from Norfolk Carers

Disabled Facilities Grant A grant up to a maximum of £30,000 may be available from your local council if you need to adapt your home to make it easier for a disabled person. You may, for example want to: improve access to rooms and facilities by installing ramps, a stairlift, a downstairs bathroom or adapt heating or lighting.

How much you get depends on your household income and savings and there is normally an assessment of the person’s needs.

For more details contact your local council.

Local Councils

01362 656 870

01603 431 133

Great Yarmouth
01493 856 100

King’s Lynn and West Norfolk
01553 616 200

North Norfolk
01263 513 811

0344 980 33 33

South Norfolk
01508 533 701

Norfolk County Council can provide services to support you and the person you care for. To find out whether you, or they, are eligible for Council services you can ask for a free Carer’s Assessment

Following the assessment, the Council may decide that you are eligible for support such as a Direct Payment to spend on the things that make caring easier, for example: one-off items, such as household aids, leisure activities to reduce stress or practical support. This might involve arranging for someone to step in when you need  a short break. Get in touch with Norfolk County Council for more details.

You can pick up or download a copy of ‘Your Guide to Care and Support for Adults’ which has the contact details of a range of care services that you can choose from. Contact Norfolk County Council.
0344 800 8020 0344 800 8011 (textphone)

Carers Allowance

You may be able to get £62.70* a week Carers Allowance if all of the following apply:

  • you’re 16 or over
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • you have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 yearyou normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
  • you’re not in full-time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more
  • you earn no  more than £116 a week* after deductions for; tax, cost of replacement care and 50% of what you pay into your pension The person you are caring for must receive one of the following benefits:
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

You may also be able to claim other benefits, e.g. an income related benefit and Pension Credit.

You might not be eligible for Carers Allowance if you are claiming some other benefits, such as a state pension, but you should still apply. This is because these other benefits might be increased as a result of your caring role.

Be aware that claiming Carer’s Allowance may affect the benefits that the cared for person receives. You should always check this with an adviser.
0345 608 4321

If you are subject to immigration control you may not be eligible for Carers Allowance – check with an adviser.

Norfolk Carers can help you to apply on-line or by phone.
0808 808 9876
07497 002864 (text only)
Go to our “Do it here” page.

Carers Credit 

Carers who don’t qualify for Carer’s Allowance may qualify for Carer’s Credit. If you’re caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week. Carer’s Credit helps with gaps in your National Insurance record. Your State Pension is based on your National Insurance record.

Your income, savings or investments won’t affect eligibility for this benefit. If you’re eligible for Carer’s Credit, you can get credits to help fill gaps in your National Insurance record. This means you can take on caring responsibilities without affecting your State Pension. To get Carer’s Credit you must be:

• aged 16 or over; and under State Pension age
• looking after one or more people for at least 20 hours a week

The person you’re looking after must get one of the following:

• Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate

• Attendance Allowance

• Constant Attendance Allowance

• Personal Independence Payment – daily living component, at the standard or enhanced rate

• Armed Forces Independence  Payment

If the person you’re caring for doesn’t get one of these benefits, you may still be able to get Carer’s Credit. Fill in the ‘Care Certificate’ part of the application form and get a health or social care professional to sign it.

Norfolk Carers can help you to apply on-line or by phone.
0808 808 9876
07497 002864 (text only)
Go to our “Do it here” page.

Time for you.

Breaks from caring

You can still get Carer’s Credit even if you have breaks from caring (up to 12 weeks in a row). A break is any time you spend  less than 35 hours a week caring for the other person, for example: if you take a short holiday, or someone you look after goes into hospital. Keep the Carer’s Allowance Unit updated if you have a break in caring of more than 12 weeks in a row.

You don’t need to apply for Carer’s Credit if you get Carer’s Allowance – you’ll automatically get credits. To apply download the Carer’s Credit claim form from the website or call the carers allowance unit (below). It includes a Care Certificate – ask a health or social care professional to sign it for you.
0345 608 4321 

Norfolk Carers can help you to apply on-line or by phone.
0808 808 9876
07497 002864 (text only)
Go to our “Do it here” page.


Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
DLA for children, may help with the extra costs of looking after a child under 16 who has disabilities or difficulties.

Attendance Allowance
For people who are 65 or over and have a physical disability, including sensory disability, a mental disability including learning difficulties, or both. The disability must be severe enough for the person to be unable to care for themselves or for them to need someone else to supervise them in daily tasks for their own, or someone else’s, safety.
0345 605 6055

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This funding is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance to help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or a disability for those aged 16 to 64 only. The rate depends on how a condition affects the individual, not the condition itself. The person you care for will need an assessment to work out the level of help they get. The award will be regularly reassessed to make sure they’re getting the right support. If the person you care for currently claims DLA and they reached age 65 prior to 8 April 2013 they will be informed when they need to claim PIP.
0345 850 3322 

The State Pension
The amount of state pension you receive depends on your National Insurance contributions and how many years you have been paid.
Contact the Pension Service.
0800 731 7898

Universal Credit
A monthly payment that has started to replace income and work-related benefits. If you, or the cared-for person,
are already getting tax credits you do not need to do anything. Just make sure that you continue to claim any benefits you’re entitled to and report any changes in circumstances.
0345 600 0723

Housing Benefit
Help with paying your rent if you receive a low income. Contact your local district council for more details.

Discretionary Housing Payment Help with paying any rent not covered by Housing Benefit if you have financial problems.
Contact your local district council for more details.

Council Tax Band Reduction Scheme You can apply if you live in a larger property than you need, to accommodate somebody who has a disability, or you have to adapt it. Contact your local district council for more details.

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) helps towards interest payments on your mortgage or on loans if you have had to make certain
repairs or improvements to your home. For details of how to claim visit the website.

The Government’s Money Advice Service
0800 138 7777

Eastern Savings and Loans credit union Credit and access to a range of financial services.
0333 600 0690

Equal lives Advice on personal budgets and welfare benefits.
01508 491 210

Norfolk’s Citizens’ Advice Bureau
03444 111 444

Utility bills
There are now a number of trusts to assist those who are struggling to pay their utility bills; gas, electricity and water. For more information,contact your utility provider – details are online or contact Norfolk’s Citizens Advice Bureaux.
03444 111 444

Warm Homes Discount Scheme You may be able to get £140 off your electricity bill if: you are either receiving Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit element) or on a low income, the bill is in your name and your electricity supplier is part of the scheme. Visit the website or contact your
electricity supplier.

Winter Fuel Payment You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 May 1953. Contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre to find out more.
03459 15 15 15

Cold weather payment If you’re getting certain benefits you may be entitled to a cold weather payment. You don’t need to apply. You will get this automatically if you are eligible.

Download our handbook

Download our handbook.